Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Family Search Website - Update

Wow! I am SOOOOOOO excited to see the updates to the Family Search website! This is so exciting! I spent several hours on it today creating family albums, uploading ancestor photos & linking those photos to my Family Tree - all for FREE!!! And in the process found a couple of items of interest that other people had posted on my ancestors (some new photos I didn't have). What a blessed time to be alive!!! I LOVE and am SO THANKFUL for what technological advances have done for Family History Research & collaboration! When I first started my research in the early 1990s I would have to order Census films (or other microfilm) from the Family History Library in Salt Lake, wait.....very impatiently I might add.....for them to arrive at the local Family History Center - schedule a babysitter so I could go look at it, and spend hours browsing through thousands of names hoping to find my ancestor! Wow - what a few years & many advances (and lots of VOLUNTEER INDEXERS!) have done! Now I can get on Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org and type in an ancestor name and there they are! Print the image, save it to my computer, add it to my tree. What an incredible blessing that I am thankful for every day!

If you haven't seen the Family Search site & the wonderful things that are happening on it(all FREE!!) now is the time to check it out!
Family Search.Org

Also - YOU can be one of those wonderful individuals who help someone else find THEIR ancestor by indexing records! You can do it through Family Search:
Family Search Indexing

Or many project are available on Ancestry.com as well:
Ancestry.com World Archives Project

No comments:

Post a Comment